Going green to save some green; sounds about right, doesn’t it?
In recent years, homeowners the world over have been struggling with rising electricity costs. In Australia, monthly utilities are the second-highest source of family expenditure after the mortgage payment for the home.
We indeed love using electricity. It is truer that we hate having to end up paying for it. At a time when every facet of our life has become defined by electricity use, it is high time we look for ways to save a few bucks.
In this article, we look at the top ten tips to help you reduce your electricity costs by over 50%!
Before we begin, let us highlight how this is not a one-size-fits-all saving guide. Instead, it is a process that will be individual for every home.
Things to Consider when looking at Ways to Reduce your Electricity Costs
According to the Australian government, the energy situation and requirement in each house is different. Representatives from the Energy Ministry state that homeowners should start with something rather simple- looking at and analysing how much energy their home consumes in one single day.
Some of the important things that need to be considered when looking to reduce electricity costs are-
- The overall size or dimensions of your home. This should also include all the home features, including electric-powered garage doors, smart set-up, and other instruments that use electricity.
- The kind of appliances that a home uses on an everyday basis. This includes everything from your toaster to the lawnmower. In addition to the number of appliances, you need to check for the level of energy consumption that they have.
- Understanding the lifestyle and kind of living facilities that your home and its inhabitants enjoy. This also means what are the different periods of the day when the most or the least power is being consumed.
- The energy provider or supplier company also matters. As we Australians know, there are unit-wise differences in terms of which power company we choose to go for. Comparing the power costs and also looking at service essentials is important.
- How efficiently you use the electrical equipment in your home needs to be taken into consideration. Do you leave appliances on even after you use them, is one such area you need to look at?
List of 10 Tips to help you Reduce your Electricity Costs by over 50%
Let us now look at the ten tips that can come in handy if you are looking to reduce your electricity costs.
- Go for Energy Efficient Lighting Solutions-
The first thing you can do to bring down the costs is to change the lighting equipment in your household. By opting for an all-LED set-up, you will not only reduce power costs but have lighting that is going to last for a longer period. The bulbs will last longer, are much cheaper, and dispense greater illumination as compared with normal bulbs and lights.
- Consider Solar Energy-
Contrary to the popular perception that solar energy is expensive, the reverse holds. In other words, in recent years, solar energy has become very affordable thanks to many new companies creating solar infrastructure like panels, inverters, and energy storage solutions. All you need to do is look for a company with experience in the field and start going solar.
- Stop Phantom Appliances from costing you-
Did you know that even when your toaster is not getting used, it is still using electricity? This phenomenon is known as phantom energy sources. Energy experts suggest that it is best to switch off and unplug devices like toasters, chargers, televisions, microwaves, and dishwashers when they are not being used. This will help you save hundreds of dollars every month.
- Draw the Curtains whenever you are using an Air Conditioner-
While most of us tend to close the doors and windows whenever we use an air conditioner, we forget about the curtains. Glass or any other material that lines your windows can absorb heat and temperature and make the indoors warm. This can force the air con to work harder and drains more electricity in the process. Drawing the curtains prevents extra use of the electricity.
- Invest in Proper Insulation of your Home-
Do you know why some homes do not get that hot during the summers and extremely cold during winters? The reason is simple- the home has great insulation. Check up with experts to figure out how you can make your homes insulated. This can mostly be done using materials and ensuring that there are adequate ventilation and air movement within the house.
- Carefully examine the Energy Setting of the Appliances-
There are truckloads of information mentioned on appliances. If you read the guide or the warranty card, the company mentions the best way for you to save on energy. Using specific types of electrical wires, plugging the appliance into a particular socket field, and adjusting the setting of the appliances can go a long way in reducing the electricity consumption costs.
- Be Aware of your Electricity Consumption by Installing Smart Monitoring Systems-
How are you going to deal with the problem if you don’t know whether the problem exists in the first place or not? In recent years, several homeowners in Australia are installing smart monitoring meters in their homes to understand their levels of energy consumption. This is helping them understand the costs and identify what is draining them the most.
- Working with a Credible Electrical Company-
If you are smart enough, your first inclination would be to get in touch with an expert electrical company and ask them to do an energy audit of your home. Following this, they will come up with their easy solutions for optimising electricity costs. This is a simple, easy and efficient way to understand where you are going wrong and what you can do.
- Look at Smart Technologies that can help keep a check on electricity costs-
Imagine you left for a week-long vacation and your children forgot to turn off the air con in their rooms! Can something help you avoid such issues from happening (they will happen since we are human beings who are prone to making mistakes)? Smart home solutions detect when you are not at home and cut off the power to the appliances. This helps save massively.
- Plant more trees in and around your home-
Going green by planting trees is simple and yet there are so few of us doing it. If you have a solid shade being by a tree overlooking your home, you will see that you are prevented from getting the direct rays of the sun. This can be done especially on the western side of your house to keep the sun out during the hottest summer months.
The Final Word
By following all the above-mentioned tips in the article, you will be able to reduce your electricity costs by over 50%. If you wish to know more about saving energy costs or going for solar energy, mention your questions in the comments below. We will request our team of electrical experts to answer them as soon as possible.